Friday 14 May 2010

Typography with a twist

Earlier this week I ventured to Epsom, Surrey. Not for a flutter on the horses but to hold a typography session with the graphic design students. And what a top-notch day it was.

The focus was on 'typography with a twist' where I shared my own work and the work of others; great brand identities from the likes of The Chase and Thoughtful Design, as well as Noma Bar, who's work is hanging next to mine in the 'More is a Bore' exhibition (see below).

I've always wanted to do this and I never thought I'd get so much out of it. The level of thinking from the students was superb and the sketch books were brimming with rich ideas. All of which I hope will be tweaked, developed and entered into each of their folios.

And, I'm hoping to go back. But this time, perhaps, to set a live brief. Something a little more meaty. But first, the end of year show which I'm rather excited about going to. (Rather impressively, the students have a good friend in design legend Vaughan Oliver who is working with them on live projects).

You can view the UCA design blog here. Keep a beady eye on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment